So, my birthday’s this month, and one of the things I’m all about this year, besides career, is self-care. Last year, I just lapsed into letting the MCAS take over–which it’s hard not to do–and I was so depressed about the situation, as well as being so shellshocked by 2020 in general, that I just let things go. I ate things I knew I shouldn’t because they made me emotionally feel better, but they were hard on my body. I didn’t get enough rest. I let myself get sucked in by the news and the stress over all that was going on knocked me into reaction after reaction. I felt like I needed to speak up and be ‘part of the solution’…but what I forgot is being part of the solution does no good if you sacrifice yourself in the process.

So this month, as I head toward 60, I’m taking back my priorities. I’m putting myself first. My career and my health are my two big focuses this year. So what does that mean? Well, for me, it means going back to my old mantra of “Nothing tastes so good that it’s worth sacrificing your health for.” Because I love sugar, and I’m an emotional eater. But that’s done. This is my year of no-sugar. And very quickly becoming, almost-no-starch. I have found a few safe treats that won’t impact me like sugar does, so that’s a win. And I inadvertently went back to very low carb the past few days and realized suddenly today that my joints are hurting less, and the bottoms of my feet have stopped hurting, and so my diving into cutting back starches has started early because it’s a noticeable difference.low carb jpg

How will I cope with going back to low carb, and doing my best to stick to intermittent fasting. Low carb–with MCAS–means a significant limitation on my foods I intermittent fasting jpgcan eat? Well, I’m going to institute home “spa-days” where I take at least two hours to just do a pedicure, and all those lovely things that make me feel special. My hairdresser has offered to meet me at the salon on a day when nobody else is in there, so it will be safe for me, so I’m going back to my mermaid hair. I’m focusing on fashion again–clothes instead of food. And I’m going to do my best to get enough sleep. Exercise is problematic, given my reactions, but I’m going to get back into my yoga, and see what else I can do without spurring on a reaction.

In other words: 2021–is the year of Me. I don’t want to hit 61 as achy and tired as I ended last year. And if that means being on a low carb diet and having a very limited selection, if that means going on a news diet and staying off Twitter (which drives me nuts), then that’s what I’m going to be doing.

So, that’s the way I’m ushering in my birthday–which is the 17th. By taking care of the one person who can make all of these books I write possible–Me.

If you enjoyed this blog and would like to help support it, or just want to buy me a cup of coffee, click on the link below to donate. 

Buy Me A Coffee

Share Button
January, Baby!
Tagged on:                         

One thought on “January, Baby!

• 01/06/2021 at 7:21 pm

Good for you! I also stress eat. It is hard not to indulge sugar and carbs when everything is so out of sync. My other comfort is reading. I’m grateful & glad that I discovered your worlds. I’m enjoying January so much.

Be well.

Blessings.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.