Answering Reader Questions

Today I’m answering another writing question from a reader! Dawn wants to know what is the very first thing I do when I’m starting a new book or story.

Well, I have a certain routine that I go through. Once in a while I will skip something, but not usually.

One: I write the synopsis for the book. This will usually be 1 to 2 pages of highlights about what I know is going to happen in the book.

Two : I write a short bullet list of how each character is going to grow, or their individual trials and tribulations, within that book.

Three: I make playlist. This will be a preliminary playlist, and I make it to fit the moods of the books. Although my choice in music has been changing for my writing, and I’ll talk about that in a different blog post.

Four: I make sure my office is clean, and that all clutter is put away. I need to start on a clean slate.to-do lists

Five: I examine the timeframe in which I have to write the book, according to my release schedule. I plan out the days I know I’m taking off, then figure out how many words I need to write each writing day in order to not exhaust myself and to stay on track. It doesn’t always work out, but it definitely helps.

Six: I update my bulletin board in my office with pictures of models who remind me of my characters in the books, and other images that may inspire me.

Seven: Then, I type Chapter 1 on the “page” (screen), and I start writing. After I write the first few chapters, I go through and make a bullet list of what needs to happen in the next 4 to 6 chapters. When I finish those, I make another bullet list and so on, till the book is done.

Next week I’ll be answering another writing question, so be sure to either leave your questions on the blog, or get them to Jen in the Facebook group. She keeps a thread in their where you can post your questions, and she also keeps an eye on the blog for questions. Have a wonderful rest of the week!

Share Button
Reader Questions: Starting A New Book

3 thoughts on “Reader Questions: Starting A New Book

• 11/12/2019 at 4:34 pm

Thanks so much for answering my question. 🙂

• 11/11/2019 at 10:14 am

Very interesting. Thanks for that insight. How often do you get part way through a story only to have the character foil you plans and change directions?

• 11/10/2019 at 9:42 am

I do have a question. Have you ever written a character, whether the main or side character, that you have disliked to the point that you just wanted to find some way to get rid of them, or at least hide them somewhere to never see the light of day?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.