Samhain image

Samhain (pronounced Sow-en) is the primary Celtic festival, celebrated on the evening of October 31st–November 1st.  It focuses on our links to our spiritual and physical ancestors.  The honoring of ancestors is a concept celebrated world-round under a number of different names.

During Samhain, the veils between the world of spirit and the world of mortals are at their thinnest.  This is the time of year when the dead roam the earth.

Samhain is considered the third harvest, or meat harvest (Lughnasadh being the first–or grain harvest, and Mabon being the second–or fruits harvest).

Share Button
The Nature of Samhain
Tagged on:                                 

2 thoughts on “The Nature of Samhain

• 11/01/2018 at 7:35 am

I really appreciate your information on the holidays we go through. I was raised believing i was native American being predominant , then Irish- Scottish. I’ve come to find out quite different, no native American. Long story short I was adopted, thought my biological grandparents raised me. I’m still Irish -Scottish, and will always treasure my native up bringing. I understand a lot of cultures have these beliefs. But I was raised in the beliefs of the holidays you celebrate. I so thank yo for keeping them in my heart.

• 10/31/2018 at 8:41 pm

Thank you for continuing to share information. A major portion of my ancestry is Irish and Scots so I find this very interesting.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.