Welcome to Yasmine's Place

Share Button
Vlog: 7 Things I Wish I Would Have Known About Being a Published Author
Tagged on:             

2 thoughts on “Vlog: 7 Things I Wish I Would Have Known About Being a Published Author

• 05/26/2020 at 1:33 am

Thank you for posting about the inner workings of writing as a career. Most people don’t realize the amount of work that goes into not just creating the stories but promoting them so you can make a living.

A lot of people think that published writers are extremely wealthy so they think it’s okay to read pirated books, etc. This myth annoys me because only a tiny percentage of published authors are quite wealthy – most if not all in this category have had their books adapted to film and/or television. A lot of published writers have other jobs and the lucky minority outside the wealthy ones make a comfortable living.

Writing is a real job and career and since income isn’t always ideal it can be a real labour of love. I haven’t met any writers who do it only because of the money, they do it because at their core, that’s who they are, not just what they do. It can be frustrating and challenging and not always fun, but if you love writing you ride out any negatives because at the end of the day, it’s rewarding work.

Writers should support each other because there is room for everyone. I like how you said it’s perfectly fine to be happy for a fellow writer friend who has some success while still wanting that success too.

• 05/24/2020 at 12:29 pm

You have learned some big lessons since you’ve become a published author. There’s much to be proud of.

The one that makes me the happiest for you–and for the world–is learning that you can want what someone else has while supporting that person, and celebrating with that person. There is enough good stuff in the world for everyone to have her/his/their part of it.

Good on you!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.