Hi, I’m New York Times, USA TODAY, and Publisher’s Weekly bestselling author Yasmine Galenorn. In April 2012, I won a Career Achievement Award in Urban Fantasy at the Romantic Times Convention.
I have over 75 books on the shelves, and I write paranormal women’s fiction, urban fantasy, paranormal mysteries, paranormal romance, and a mix of all of these. My series include: the Moonshadow Bay Series, the Wild Hunt Series, the Chintz ‘n China Series, the Bewitching Bedlam Series, the Fury Unbound Series, the Otherworld Series, and a number of others, as well as metaphysical nonfiction books. I wrote for traditional publishers for twenty years, up until 2016, and now I have moved into being an indie author to give myself more freedom.
And yes, I’m a shamanic witch and am considered an elder in the Pagan community, having been in the Craft since February 29th (yes, leap year day), 1980. I walk an eclectic path and consider my life to be a blend of teacups and tattoos–the former in my china closet, the latter on my skin–I’m heavily inked. You’ll find some of my magickal musings under the category of “Paganism” on my blog.
I collect teacups, teapots, Old Country Roses china (Royal Albert), antlers and skulls (of the non-human variety), daggers and crystals. And of course, my bookshelves and my Kindle are overflowing with books. I cannot walk out of a bookstore without buying at least one book. My TBR pile is huge, both on my Kindle and on my bookshelves!
I’m a theatre major, a 1983 graduate of the Evergreen State College (Olympia WA). I started college when I was fifteen, skipping high school. I took extra time to finish because of money considerations and a hiatus when I was 17, to hitchhike to California where I lived with one of my sisters for a brief time.
On Beltane, 1993 (May 1st) I married Samwise and we’re still very happily married. We are the parents of four cats. Our four senior girls went over the Bridge a few years ago and we still miss them terribly, but we now have three wonderful girls all around 9 years old, and our l’il boy Apple. We reside in the Seattle WA area.
Because so many people ask, you pronounce my first name this way: Yaz-mihn (NOT Jasmine–it’s a “Y”, not a “J”) and our last name is pronounced: Gal-eh-norn. The accent is on the first syllable. Interesting trivia: Samwise and I created our last name together after we got married. At first, he took my last name, but I decided I didn’t want to be stuck with my stepfather’s last name forever. So we decided to construct a name that would be ours alone and that would mean something to us. We created our last name out of the Elvish in LOTR. Galenorn means Green Tree in Elvish, went to court, and legalized it. And yes, Samwise is his *real* name.
A few random facts:
- I suffer from Mast Cell Activation Syndrome, multiple food allergies, as well as Histamine Intolerance, which can make life hell. I blog about it at times, and include allergy-friendly recipes on my blog.
- My favorite animal: Cats
- My favorite books: Watership Down, Rebecca, Lord of the Rings, Anything by Ray Bradbury
- My favorite Anime: InuYasha
- My favorite movies: Oh man, too many to mention. Rebecca–absolute favorite. But the list of the ones I love is HUGE. Alien/Aliens; Terminator/T2; Tremors; almost anything Hitchcock; Thor; Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion; Conan the Barbarian (with Arnold); Doors; Indiana Jones; 2001; Andromeda Strain; the Mummy movies; Sleepy Hollow; Dead Poets’ Society; One Hour Photo; Eight Legged Freaks…and the list goes on and on…
- My favorite groups: GARY NUMAN FOREVER!!! Um…okay, now that that’s out of my system, add in: Black Angels, Shriekback, and the Kills for my top four. Also: Hedningarna, Faun, Mark Lanegan; Beck; Ladytron; Rob Zombie; Jethro Tull; Devo; Asteroids Galaxy Tour; Android Lust; Thompson Twins; Bowie; Nirvana; Nine Inch Nails; Marilyn Manson, In Strict Confidence, Gabrielle Roth; Tangerine Dream; Air; Doors; Amanda Blank; and so….many….more….
- Random Passions: volcanoes, dinosaurs, mummies, magic/witchcraft, sex, makeup, fashion
As to other information, well, that’s all you really need to know for now. 🙂