So, I really did a number on myself. Apparently, I’ve been poisoning myself for months. And I deliberately use that word because I need to remember, that’s essentially what it is. Foods that are safe for others, can easily be toxic for me.
I had a major reaction last night–a long, red weal appeared on my back, whole body began to itch, chest and back flushed, nose tingling, lips tingling, felt so rough I just curled in a ball on the bed. So what happened? I thought I ate pretty ‘clean’ yesterday. But something triggered the thought, look up Zevia’s ingredients again.
Now, I’ve been drinking Zevia cola and Dr. Zevia for months—it’s a stevia sweetened soft drink without dyes in it. I had checked the ingredients on their site, couldn’t see anything to …I checked the ingredients–couldn’t see anything beyond a couple things like citric acid that could produce any problems. I’m fine with stevia. But it was that old bugaboo of ‘natural flavorings’…
I looked on the website again, nope…but then I happened to look on Amazon where they sell, and Amazon had a more thorough listing. Both Zevia cola and Dr. Zevia have: lime oil, lemon oil, nutmeg oil, and Dr. Zevia has clove oil. ALL of those are VERY problematic for MCAS and HIT.
Which means it’s been building up in my system for months–not enough each day to trigger (though it would explain some of my ‘unexplained’ reactions) but finally, threw me into overload. My body feels pummeled this morning, and after I even out a bit, it’s going to take awhile to shed it from of my body, because some of these oils store in the body fat.
I’ve got an interesting few months ahead getting back to an even keel. And it’s back to water with mint in it for drinking, and a few herbal teas that are okay for me (like a raspberry tea I have, and a blackberry).
I suppose the moral of this is that if you have any allergies or conditions like MCAS or Histamine Intolerance, you need to beware of ‘natural flavorings’…now, I know this but somehow, I overlooked it here. Maybe I subconsciously wanted to overlook it because I just wanted something to drink that I like without worrying. Maybe I just spaced it. But given the severity of my reaction last night, I can no longer give myself the leeway of that.
(And please, no suggestions of things that might ‘help’ my conditions. Seriously, it’s a very complex issue and I’m working with my doctor to find a good treatment plan).